- AIA/Seattle Honor Award, SPD Belltown Office/Gallery — 1997
Suyama Peterson Deguchi’s Belltown studio is located in a renovated 1890s livery-stable-turned-car-garage. The original concrete building envelope was largely preserved in the renovation. Drawn by the garage’s raw industrial materials and historic layers, we decided to leave as much of its patina intact as possible. Additions and interventions were limited to humble materials; drywall, plywood and steel.
The building houses architectural offices for our professional staff and our storefront retail shop, called 3x10, which features furniture and accessories. Suyama Space, a nonprofit gallery for site-specific installation work, occupies the center of the building. The renovation of the building received an American Institute of Architects (AIA) Honor Award and has been featured in numerous publications.
- SPD Belltown Office | Daily Journal of Commerce — "New Chapter for Peter Miller Books", April, 2013
- SPD Belltown Studio | Architectural Record — "Suyama Peterson Deguchi", December, 2002
- 3x10 Showroom | Seattle Homes & Lifestyles — "Architecturally Inspired", May, 2007
- SPD Profile | Remodelista.com — "Architect Visit", March, 2011
- SPD / 3x10 Showroom / Suyama Space | City Arts — "Elements of Style", September, 2011
- George Suyama / SPD | Gray Magazine — "George Suyama", January, 2012